Wednesday, March 21, 2012

"Monster Man" with Richard Elfman Part 3


In Part 1 I described the recording process of Princess Polly's song for the "Forbidden Zone 2" music video promo. In Part 2 I described the experience of getting a life cast of my head. Now Princess Polly's hideous face is created & she comes to life...

I met with Richard & the entire SOTA creative team to look over various sketches of what Princess Polly could look like. The sketches had crazy eyes and chins and noses and foreheads. One version had eyes all over the face. Creepy! Richard wanted to make sure the head utilized my own eyes and had a movable mouth so I could perform when we did the music video shoot. But he wanted Princess Polly to be grotesque. The SOTA team smiled. They know how to do grotesque.                                                                                            
What kind of sick, twisted people are they?
                                                
The following week I showed up at SOTA early in the morning. I sat down in the makeup room where we originally made the mold for the life cast. That's when I first met Princess Polly. That nose! That chin! Those lips! Definitely grotesque. 
Becoming her was quite the process. They slicked my hair back and glued a bald cap to my head. Then they put Vaseline on my eyebrows and anything else they didn’t want to stick to the prosthetic. Then they attached her face. She was smelly. They worked quickly to get the prosthetic glued around my eyes, on my lips, my chin, and neck. They had to pull and poke to get it to sit right. They blended makeup foundations together to give Princess Polly the same tone as my skin. Then they added blush and lipstick to Princess Polly & put lots of makeup on my eyes to match her face. They also cleverly attached a chunky necklace to hide the neck seam.Then they styled a wig to go on Princess Polly and attached it. Three hours after I first sat in the chair, I was ready to work. 
I put on a gold lame bikini and some amazing gold sequenced boots and strutted towards the stage. Suddenly I was stopped. We were filming in front of a green screen and the shine from the gold would cause reflection problems. I was sent back to the makeup chair while Constance ran to the nearest bikini shop. Half an hour later I was given a cute purple bikini and the beautiful gold sequenced boots were painted with a flat lilac color. Sad. But now I was finally ready! 
I marched out in my boots to greet Richard. He was ecstatic! Two crews were assembled in front of a green screen, ready to shoot the music video. We even had the animator there to supervise the green screen process. I performed the song over and over again as the crews shot it from far away, up close, at low angles, & at high angles. They wanted to make sure to get as much coverage as possible. Again everyone on the crew was really sweet. They made sure I had a place to sit with a fan nearby and plenty of water in between takes. Even though I wasn't wearing much on my body, Princess Polly's face was pretty hot underneath. 
After many, many takes of the song I finally heard "That's a wrap!" And the celebration began! Unfortunately for me I was running late to the opening preview of a play I was performing in and couldn't stay. But I hear Richard's BBQ that night was legendary!                                                                         
Here is the complete music video in all it's glory!
                                                                   
*This episode of "Monster Man" airs TONIGHT on the SyFy channel: 3/21/12 @ 10pm/9pmC  

No comments:

Post a Comment